This is a recommendation list for authors either debut or new to me that I enjoyed this year. I’m breaking this down into who the author is and which book or series made me want to add them to this list and why.
This list is in no particular order.
1. Jennifer Lynn Barnes with her The Naturals series. This author resparked my love in YA thrillers and reminded me of what it felt like to love a series and be dashed when you can’t read the next one just yet since the final book wasn’t out until a few months after my mad dash through the first three.
2. Claudia Gray with her Firebird trilogy. This author sparked a sci-fi love in me I didn’t know I had with this series and proved a pretty cover doesn’t mean that I series won’t be pretty on the inside.
3. Karin Slaughter with everything I’ve read by her this year, but specifically her Will Trent series. With this author, for the first time, I felt the need to try and read as many things as they have published as soon as possible. Her work is that addicting.
4. Becky Albertalli with Simon v.s. The Homo Sapiens Agenda. This author gave me the first book I wanted to immediately read all over again the second I finished it.
5. Aya Shouoto with her Kiss of the Rose Princess manga series. This author writes and illustrated two of the manga series I binged this year which reminded me of why I loved manga so much in the first place.